Monday, November 3, 2008

The Vehicular Wonders of Hammacher Schlemmer

Suspend your disbelief for a moment, and pretend that we all have an infinite amount of cash. Okay. Now open up your Hammacher Schlemmer catalog. These guys supply you with the things you never realized you didn't need. I first heard of Hammacher Schlemmer when I saw some of their items in the Sky Mall catalog. I think everyone's perused that catalog sometime after you finished the airline branded "magazine," and before you've succumbed to watching an edited version of Failure to Launch. My dad once even ordered something from Sky Mall- an extendable duster for high ceilings.

I'm also a satisfied Hammacher Schlemmer customer. A year ago I bought one of their lamp alarm clocks that becomes brighter and brighter as your wake-up time nears. It turned out to be pretty helpful during dark winter mornings. The clock was about fifty dollars, but their real exciting items start in the hundreds and thousands. And they've got a whole lineup of items that could be a great addition to the Un-Road Trip. Over the next few days, I'm going to introduce you to a few of my favorite vehicular items from Hammacher Schlemmer. Today's item:


The Lake & Sea Paddle Boat: I enjoy the required exercise and vigor of the paddle boat, but they look sort of dinky. Not anymore. This vehicle looks more like a speed boat with its sleek design and yellow cover, and although you may only be moving five miles-per-hour, you'll be cruising that reasonable speed in style. Of course, it'll cost you... about $3,500. If anyone wants to chip in, they can sit in the second seat.

No comments: