Thursday, November 13, 2008

State by state by state...


Planning an Un-Road Trip is a daunting task. It's easy to find cool modes of transportation- there are tons of them! The problem is linking them up. I know I want to ride trains, kayaks, horses, segways, bikes, hot air balloons, etc. Now I have to find a place where I can take a boat to a train station, and a train to a hot air balloon, and a balloon to a horse ranch, etc. That's where it get complicated. So I've started contacting the tourism boards in every state. They have a more intimate knowledge of how their state's laid out, and the transportation opportunities available, so hopefully they can assist with piecing together the journey...

So far, the representatives from Alabama and Minnesota have been the most helpful. Apparently, they have some covered wagons giving rides in Auburn, Alabama. I wonder if I could convince them to take me a hundred miles or so? And I wonder how horse/oxen upkeep compares to car maintenance?

No comments: