Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Car-Free Isn't Always Happy

Although I've been avoiding cars this trip, it's been hard to avoid all the depressing news coming from the car industry. Dealerships are closing down, people are losing jobs, and now it's hit close to home. My good friend's dad owns a Dodge dealership in Virginia and they just lost their franchising agreement. After putting thirty years of work into the company, they only have a few weeks to figure out how to stay viable without their car supplier. Dealerships are more than just car lots- they're employers and community supporters, and now they're in trouble because of a decision made in a boardroom somewhere.

So what do we do now? I'm not really sure. But hopefully I'll some answers on the Un-Road Trip. I guess we not only have to look beyond the car, we have to look beyond car-driven employment too.

Anyone want to start some bike dealerships?

No comments: