Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Two weeks down (under)

It's hard to believe I've already been in Australia for two weeks. I'm working on some video pieces to give you a better feel for the trip. But until those are ready, here are a few pictures to bring you up to date.

I spent last week in the Riverlands of South Australia surveying the burrows of Southern Hairy-nosed Wombats:


Wombats are notoriously shy, but we did manage to see a few:


After surveying wombats, I had a few days to explore Adelaide, South Australia's main city. It's also a great central location for a lot of great day trips. I took a 2-day trip to Kangaroo Island which, due to its secluded nature, has stayed mostly free from invasive plant and animal species. It's a great place to see lots of Australian animals, and my trip was definitely no exception:






We saw tons of sea lions, wallabies, and koalas. We also saw penguins and echidnas, but I only have video footage of those ones. I'll try to get that up soon.

Also, my new favorite ice cream bar:

No comments: