Monday, November 8, 2010

Sometimes I spend my summers making epic musicals

For the past five summers I've been running the film-making program over at Willowbrook, a summer arts camp located in Tualatin, Oregon. Kids make dozens of movies every summer, but we also all collaborate on one bigger project. During the summer of 2009 we decided to make our most ambitious film. It was a fifteen minute original musical called The Epic Willowbrook Musical. It was a hit at camp and there was no question what the next summer's movie would be.

So when summer 2010 rolled around we started writing The Epicer Willowbrook Musical during the first week of camp. Filming ramped up by the end of week 2, and by week 4 production was essentially complete. Everything you see below was written, composed, performed, recorded, choreographed, acted, and sung at Willowbrook by Willowbrook campers and staff. And for having no musical background I think I did a pretty good job directing it. Take a look:

Epicer Willowbrook Musical from Boaz Frankel on Vimeo.

My nephews are still singing the songs, so we must have done something right.

No comments: